Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Making Choices


Each day I choose, or at least, reaffirm, whose I am, and whom I serve.
Sounds a little dramatic doesn't it!

For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,

Acts 27:23

As I run this house and home, as I sit down and as I talk and walk with the children He has given to us, I am all too aware of the choice I have made to raise this family.

As they grow older, some of the choices we have made seem less than ideal or even adequate.  But Mathew so graciously reminds me of our reasons, our convictions and plans that led to the choices we made to raise this family.  A husband has a different perspective.  A finer point unhindered by emotion and doubt or maybe even guilt that a mother's heart so often turns to.  Thank God for wise counsel!



This past week someone said to me "well what are you going to do?"  I had to tell them I didn't know.  I haven't done anything wrong, God is in control.  He sees where I cannot and I have to wait.  This wasn't acceptable to them, they truly didn't find closure in my attitude or words.  They just had to change the subject.


I chose to be home and raise my children.  I knew that was the best mother that I personally could be.  Our family doesn't go as many places or have as many things to do as others around us.  We don't have as many friends as others or have as many comings and goings as others do.  Yet, because of the grace of Jesus Christ, in more lasting and foundational ways, we are rich beyond compare.

For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

2 Corinthians 10:12


A place to sit where quiet time with God is quick, visible to young eyes and easy to set up!  Otherwise, guess what! I'll put it off and go on with some pressing thing or worse, I'll just read my book or play a session of my favourite three in a row game on the Ipad ...  In this ottoman is my Bible, a pen, a journal, colouring pencils, current Bible studies I'm working on, last week's church bulletin with important dates to remember, a throw rug if I need it and my glasses.  Ready to go.


Our side-table for 7 days adorns the latest birthday person's cards, gifts and pretty gift bags.  This was my week's display recently.  Every time I looked over I remembered those who I love and who love me back and whom I am daily grateful for.  Each card and word means a lot to me and to the birthday person.  To be recognized especially for who we are by those who mean the world to us.


I love this display.  It reminds me of Tea Time faithfully in our house every afternoon.  A moment in time to debrief, catch up and communicate big and mostly little things that made up our day.  


Every family meal table I try to make an event.  A time to come together and talk about our day or what we are thinking about.  There's always a bread board for my fussy eater ... 


When I have them, flowers really make it special.  The pebble holding down the napkin stack was one I picked up on Turners Beach in Tasmania during our 25th wedding anniversary trip!  I love the memory of that afternoon.

Ours is a simple, quiet life.  A choice we made in the beginning to raise children after God's own heart.  Faith filled, joyful young people.  Smaller than some, poorer than some yet rich in faith in God through Jesus Christ.

Honestly, some days the children want more.  They want what others around them have.  Some allow themselves to be led astray in search of what others have.  But not all.  And, with faith and trust, not for long.

Thank you Lord for what You have shown to us, for choosing us.  Thank you for the sunshine and the rain, the good days and the bad days.

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

1 Peter 2:9
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...